2. Guilty pleasures: we all have them. What are yours?
First of all, now that I know how much the word ‘pleasure’ freaks Maggie out, I’m going to use it to excess in this post. Not really. It’s a bit of a weird word. I don’t really like the way it sounds and I really really hate it when someone use it to describe anything sexual because creepy.
Now, on to the good stuff. The term ‘guilty pleasure’ implies embarrassment and I’m not really embarrassed by any of these.
1. One Direction. I am a 23 year old woman who would do incredibly filthy things to those (thankfully) legal boys. Their music is so catchy and their new album is amazing. They wrote all of songs and it’s just so beautiful. Plus, they are filthy, hilarious, adorable little balls of perfection.
2. Teen Lit/Chick Lit. First of all, I hate that certain subsets of literature are considered strictly for one age group or one gender. Do I think 12 year olds should be reading 50 shades of Grey? No. Honestly, NO ONE should be reading 50 Shades of Grey because there’s better written porn on the internet for free. However, I don’t think people should be persecuted for what they enjoy. I get so many looks when I’m reading Percy Jackson in public because I’m ‘too old’ to be reading a ‘kids’ book.’ Whatever. I like the book. I’m going to read it. I also enjoy Sarah Dessen as well as modern adaptations of my favorite classic novels (I can’t tell you how many Pride and Prejudice-influenced stories I own). I love the cheesiness. I love how easy to read they are and how fun the can be. Sure, I also love classics but sometimes you just need something light and fun to read.
3. Red Velvet anything. If it’s Red Velvet, I’ll eat/drink/smell it. I can’t help it, I’m addicted.
4. Fanfiction. Okay, I lied. I’m a little embarrassed about this one. I was introduced to it back in middle school with Harry Potter and it’s just progressed. I have friends who also read it. I even have friends who write it (and they’re pretty amazing too). But yeah, I read fanfic. It’s a problem.
5. Disney Channel Movies. Specifically, Disney Channel Musicals. I love all musicals but the super cheesy, ridiculous ones they put on Disney Channel just GET TO ME. I’ve seen Lemonade Mouth too many times. High School Musical still makes me cry (that damn Troy/Gabriella break up song man. Fuck that shit.) I even tortured myself with Teen Beach Movie. That one wasn’t so great but I did it.
So there’s five of my guilty pleasures. There’s probably more numerically as well as more embarrassing ones. I hope I haven’t scarred you for life.